As you know, the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) covering over 10,000 UFCW Local 1500 members working for Stop and Shop and King Kullen Supermarkets expired on September 28th, 2013. The Unions negotiating committee and representatives for each employer agreed to a two-week extension that moves the expiration date of those contracts to midnight October 12th, 2013.
How does this affect King Kullen/Stop and Shop Local 1500 members?
- Your Union contract remains fully enforceable and in place until the next expiration date is reached.
- All Health and Welfare Benefits, as well as Pension Benefits, will continue uninterrupted.
- All members must go to work as scheduled.
- Your Union negotiating committee will be meeting with management over the next two weeks in hopes of reaching an agreement on a new CBA.
- If the Union negotiating committee does reach an agreement on a new CBA that can be recommend to the members for approval, it will then be brought back to the membership to be voted on.
- If no agreement is reached, it it may become necessary to call a Union meeting and seek strike authorization.
These negotiations continue to be extremely complicated as your Union negotiators must balance implementing the changes to the Union Health and Welfare Plan as required under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) while at the same time demanding Local 1500 members continue to receive comprehensive and affordable healthcare. Once that is completed, the committee’s must still bargain over the other terms of the CBA such as wages, pension benefits, etc.
For now, you can continue stay up to date on all news from UFCW Local 1500 the following ways:
- On twitter @ufcw1500
- On facebook.com/ufcw1500
- Visit us at www.ufcw1500.org and sign up for email and text alerts.
- Contact your Union Representative directly.
- Email the Union at email@example.com, 800-522-0456.
Never forget that UFCW Local 1500 members united together are One Union with One Voice!