Contract Update #8: 2nd Contract Extension Signed
Negotiations for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) covering you and over 10,000 UFCW Local 1500 members working for Stop and Shop and King Kullen Supermarkets and Pharmacy, have been ongoing now for months. The primary focus at this point continues to be implementing the Affordable Care Act’s legal requirements while minimizing the impact on the membership and Local 1500’s Health and Welfare Fund.
Two weeks ago we notified you that the Union's negotiating committee and representatives for each employer agreed to a two-week extension that moved the expiration date of those contracts to midnight October 12th, 2013.
While we are making progress on the issue of implementing the Affordable Care Act in our contracts, today, negotiators for both the Union and the company have agreed to extend the contract expiration date to November 2nd, 2013.
Our Union negotiators felt it was important to sign another extension so we may continue to remain patient while thoroughly reviewing every option and every issue the ACA has created. Our committee is doing everything we can to resolve the difficult issues and cost increases created by this new Federal law.
As these negotiations continue, please remember the following:
1. Your Union contract remains fully enforceable.
2. All Health and Welfare Benefits, as well as Pension Benefits, will continue uninterrupted.
3. All members must go to work as scheduled.
4. When the Union negotiating committee does reach an agreement on a new CBA that can be recommended to the members for approval, it will then be brought back to YOU, the membership, to be voted on.
5. If no agreement is reached, it may become necessary to call a Union meeting and seek strike authorization.
If you have ANY questions, stay in touch with us, through email, social networks or talking to your Union Rep.
Stay up to date on all news from UFCW Local 1500 the following ways: