Health & Safety Update [COVID-19 Virus]
Over the last couple of weeks there has been growing concern about the coronavirus. UFCW Local 1500 members have jobs that require you to work closely with the public, so it’s important to know how to stay healthy, as well as avoid panicking or spreading misinformation about the virus.
The coronavirus is a respiratory illness, very similar to the common cold or seasonal flu. Symptoms usually appear within 2 to 14 days of exposure and the most common symptoms are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. It is contagious and spreads through sneezing and coughing. Since coronavirus is a virus, like the common cold, it does not have a cure. However, in most cases it will go away on its own with lots of rest and fluids within a matter of days.
Tips for Staying Healthy:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as often as possible, but especially after using the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Also avoid sharing drinks, food, or eating utensils.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- If you’re not feeling well, stay home and see a doctor. Your union contract includes paid time off (PTO), so we encourage you to use them if you’re ill or feeling under the weather (Please continue to follow your employer’s policies around taking your paid time off).